Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Homeopathic treatment
We are not aware how much time we spend with the computer and keyboard. School children, middle aged, old people everyone works on the computer resulting in rise in the number of patients suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. Women are three times more likely to suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome than men.
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs due to compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel in the flexor retinaculum at the wrist.
Bounded by bones and ligaments, the carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway located on the palm side of your wrist. This tunnel protects a main nerve to your hand and nine tendons that bend your fingers. Pressure placed on the nerve produces the numbness, pain and weakness in the hand that characterize carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Wrist fracture
- Working on a keyboard, typing, carpentry and other tasks that require repetitive motions of wrists and hands are the common causes.
- Repetitive flexing and extending of the tendons in the hands and wrists when done forcefully for prolonged periods can increase the pressure within the carpal tunnel.
- Arthritis of the wrist particularly rheumatoid arthritis.
- Soft tissue thickening in myxoedema and acromegaly.
- Edema associated with pregnancy.
- Sometimes if your carpal tunnel is more narrow than average.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Pain, numbness and paraesthesia in hand. It usually starts with a vague aching in the wrist that can extend to the hand or forearm.
- Pain may radiate through forearm and occasionally involve the whole arm.
- Tingling and numbness in your fingers or hand, especially thumb, index, middle or ring fingers. This usually occurs while holding a phone or while driving or simply after awakening.
- Typically pain is more at night or early in the morning.
- Weakness of the muscles of hand with or without wasting. Tendency to drop objects.
- Positive Tinel sign - Gentle tapping over carpal tunnel causes paraesthesia in part of cutaneous distribution of the nerve.
If left untreated damage can be caused to the muscles and nerves.
- Diagnosis is made on the basis of signs and symptoms by a physician. Median nerve does not provide sensation to little finger, so that finger is not involved.
- Your doctor will also want to test the sensation in your fingers and the strength of the muscles in your hand. Pressure on the median nerve at the wrist, produced by either bending the wrist, tapping on the nerve or simply pressing on the nerve, can bring on the symptoms in many people. The following diagnostic tests are recommended.
- Electromyography measures the tiny electrical discharges produced in muscles. A thin-needle electrode is inserted into the muscles your doctor wants to study. An instrument records the electrical activity in your muscle at rest and as you contract the muscle. This test determines if muscle damage has occurred.
- Nerve conduction study is carried out. Two electrodes are taped to your skin. A small shock is passed through the median nerve to see if electrical impulses are slowed in the carpal tunnel.
- Move your fingers; perform some exercises to relax your fingers, especially after typing or doing repetitive work.
- Take small breaks after working continuously. Gently bend and stretch your hands and wrists.
- Correct your posture as improper posture may compress the nerves in your neck which can affect wrists fingers and hands. Avoid bending your wrist all the way up or down. Keyboard should be at elbow height or lower.
- Wearing fingerless gloves can keep the wrist and hand warm and prevent stiffness if you are working in a cold environment.
The conventional form of treatment includes a non-surgical approach like steroids,wrist splints,and pain killers.If the symptoms persists or becomes severe then a surgical approach is taken.
- Homeopathic medicines are safe, easy to administer and free from side effects. If carpal tunnel syndrome occurs during pregnancy, most of the women are hesitant and afraid to take conventional medicine thinking about adverse effects it may have on the baby.
- Homeopathic medicines can cure them if medicines are given after detail case taking. Tingling, pain, numbness is the common symptoms which are taken care by Homeopathy as individualisation is done. A detailed case History includes signs and symptoms-physical, emotional and social aspects of the patient's life.
- When after analysing the detailed case history, a Homeopathic constitutional remedy is prescribed to the patient that acts on the root cause of the problem.
- Thus ,there is a relief in the symptoms of pain and tingling sensation of the hand and prevents the further complication that is weakness of muscles with wasting.
- Along with the Homeopathy medicines certain other conservative methods should be done like frequent rest of wrists from activities, applying cold packs to reduce swelling, splinting of wrist at night etc. All these methods will help in preventing the surgical intervention.
- Homeopathic medicine acts by rectifying the root cause of problem eg: arresting the arthritic changes in the wrist, reducing edema during pregnancy etc without causing any side-effects.
How Happy Livin will help you?
Happy Livin Healthcare is a leading name in the field of Homeopathy, Nutrition and Wellness. We come with a rich experience of 16 years. We are experts in Online Homeopathic and Diet treatment. We have a defined treatment protocol which covers in-depth analysis and evaluation of the patient so that the desired results are achieved. We bring the best quality of treatment at your doorstep. We deliver Homeopathic medicines across the world currently reaching to 100 plus locations globally.