A person who develops allergic symptoms when he comes in contact with products derived from natural rubber latex. Then the person can be suffering from latex allergy. Natural rubber latex comes from a liquid in tropical rubber trees.
This liquid is processed to make rubber products such as balloons, baby bottle nipples, gloves, rubber bands, condoms, adhesive tapes and bandages. The protein in rubber can cause allergic reaction in some people.
Latex allergy can be mild or severe depending upon the sensitivity of the person.
A life-threatening allergic reaction can also occur in a latex sensitive person. Anaphylactic reactions develop immediately after latex exposure in highly sensitive people and cause the airways (bronchi) to constrict, making it difficult to breathe. Blood pressure may drop, making you feel dizzy or lose consciousness. Seek emergency medical care if you think you're having an anaphylactic reaction. Treatment and Management:
You can reduce your risk of reaction by avoiding direct contact with latex. Try to find out which products in your environment contain latex. Then, find substitutes you can use for those products. Try to avoid breathing in latex particles from powdered gloves.
If you are a health care worker or a patient, you should wear powder-free latex gloves or non-latex gloves and also people around you.
Always tell doctors that you are allergic to latex. Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription. Always carry non-latex gloves with you all the time for use by emergency personnel if you need medical attention.
Use powder-free gloves.