Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
It was originally described by Stein and Leventhal in the year 1935. They described the syndrome which has the following features
- Absence of menstruation (Amenorrhea)
- Increase in facial hair growth (Hirsuitism)
- Enlarged ovaries having multiple cysts (Polycystic)
- This syndrome is prevalent in the young women in the reproductive period. It is a complex disorder characterized by excessive production of hormones known as androgens by the ovaries and the adrenal glands. Due to this the ovarian follicles fail to mature.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Increase in the body weight (Obesity)
- Abnormalities of menstruation. The patient can suffer from scanty menstruation (Oligomenorrhea), Absence of menstruation (Amenorrhea) and infertility. The patient comes with the complaints of irregular menses and says she doesn't get periods for 3-4 months.
- On internal examination bilaterally enlarged cystic ovaries are revealed. Sometimes due to the excess weight the ovaries may not be revealed.
- Sonography : transvaginal sonography is especially useful in obese patients
- Serum values
- Luteinising hormone (LH) levels or the ratio between LH: FSH is > 3:1 (Follicle stimulating hormone. FSH)
- Reversible oestradiol: Oestrone ratio. The Oestrone level is markedly low.
- Androstenedione is elevated
- Serum testosterone and DHEA-S may be marginally elevated.
- Laparoscopy bilaterally polycystic ovaries are detected; which is the characteristic feature of PCOS
The conventional treatment includes oral contraceptive pills, anti-diabetic drugs in case of high blood sugar levels and surgical intervention –laparoscopic cystectomy
Role of Homeopathy:
- The first question that comes to the mind is how these Homeopathic medicines are going to help in fighting the disease. As we all know in a diseased state the internal bodily mechanisms do not work in a harmonious way. So to bring back the lost harmony to its original balanced state the correct Homeopathic medicine has to be given.
- The homeopathic medicine acts at 3 levels the Psyche, Neuro, Endocrines at the level of the psyche it helps to bring balance which in turn will affect the neurological balance and the correct secretion of the hormones which play an important role in maintaining the harmonious flow. The homeopathic medicines do not treat the disease but it helps in bringing back the lost imbalance back to its normal state.
- To find the correct Homeopathic remedy one needs a complete case study so all the aspects of the emotional nature, Fears, Social relations, family relations, ups and downs in life have to be taken into consideration. Also the past history, problems in adjusting, Family history of any major illnesses have to be mentioned.
- Once the correct remedy is given the body starts it own healing process. The Homeopathic remedies stimulate the internal healing mechanism of the body .In this way the patient starts recovering .A proper feedback has to be given by the patient when he is under medication so that the case can be assessed and the desired result is obtained.
- Homeopathy acts on' Individual' in disease rather than the 'disease' in individual. So the correct constitutional remedy that is selected on basis of detailed case history acts at the root cause of disease gently without causing any other side-effects.
- Homeopathy medicine acts on the hypothalamus thereby stimulating the pituitary gland to produce follicle stimulating hormone [FSH] and leutinising hormone[LH] which in turn stimulate the ovaries to produce the female hormones -estrogen and progesterone responsible for menstrual cycles.
- Thus instead of supplying these hormones from outside in the form of contraceptive pills done in conventional form of medicines, Homeopathy stimulates the body to produce these hormones at optimum level by permanently restoring the imbalance by acting at the neuro-endocrine axis.
- Thus the cycle becomes regular and the cysts that are formed start to shrink in size. Along with that Homeopathy prevents the benign cysts to become malignant.
- Also Homeopathy prevents the cysts to become hemorrhagic and also the torsion of the cyst is prevented. The symptoms of hirsuitism and weight gain are also taken care of.
How Happy Livin will help you:
Dr. Joshi is a leading name in the field of Homeopathy who has around 16 years of experience in treating the patient in the classical way as intended by our Founder of Homeopathy, Dr. Samuel Hahnemann.
There is an attempt to bring the best quality of treatment at your doorstep.
A thorough case-taking is done at your convenience and after careful analysis of the same, the best quality Homeopathic medicines procured from Germany are delivered at your doorstep in a week's time along with certain health tips, dietary instructions to be followed according to the disease condition.